“SUMNER BULLDOG ACADEMY”
WHEN: Next session begins fall semester of 2017
We’ve been invited to tutor/mentor the freshmen class @ the historic Sumner High School. The 9th grade Academy is a “school within a school” and working hard to raise core competencies. Initially, we’ll focus on basic English, Math and study skills. We will begin in October. WE NEED VOLUNTEERS to help Tuesdays & Wednesdays from 3:30-5:30 pm.
WHY: This is a partnership with Lutheran Campus Ministry & St Louis Public Schools. We seek to bridge some of the deep racial, geographic & socio-economic divides/inequalities in St Louis. We believe the best way to overcome these divisions is building relationships “north of Delmar”.
WHERE/WHO: Sumner High School (4248 Cottage Ave) was the FIRST high school for African American students west of the Mississippi River, founded in 1875. Famous alums include Tina Turner, Arthur Ashe, and Chuck Berry! In the past few decades Sumner has struggled to stay open with neighborhood changes, increased violence and dropout rates. SLPL gave them an ultimatum in 2013 and the community has worked even harder to improve the school since then.
- You MUST be able to attend all 6 sessions. Over winter break we’ll reevaluate the days and needs of the students. We hope all our fall tutors can continue in the spring but at this time we’re only asking for this 6 week commitment.
- Be punctual, respectful, culturally aware and adaptable.
- Must complete the SLPS Background check and Application forms.
- Attend one training session
PLEASE complete this form
Even if you can’t help tutor this semester—you can still be involved! Talk to Pastor Rebecca! For example:
- help shop/prep weekly snacks
- help recruit tutors for next semester
- tutor a student who needs to meet at a different time/focus on different subject